Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Bluest Eye

by Toni Morrison
813m883.E.c.1

           Nowadays, people seem to be pretty concern about appearance. Most of people think of beauty like the most important thing in their lives. However, beauty is subjective, and that is the point that the book’s author, Toni Morrison, wanted to show us in The Bluest Eye, and that is what I believe as well.

           To begin with, beauty is such a subjective perception; it all depends on the person point of view. For instance, there are many people in the world that think of beauty as the good actions a person can do such as: taking care of homeless people, protecting vulnerable children, defending human and animal rights to name a few, and they are actions that go beyond having a pretty face.

          Moreover, being good looking does not make you a better person. For instance, it does not matter if you are kind of pretty or not to help someone in a hurry, or just help him/her with problems that he/she could have. Besides, beauty is not a symbol of a benevolent person, there are a lot of cases that quite handsome man or gorgeous woman are the most common criminals in movies and real life.

          On the other hand, it is kind of a fact that people good looking can get a job easily than plain people. For instance, most of jobs that need people working as receptionists or promoters, they ask for a CV with a photograph on it in order to accept or not the person who is applying for the job. Pretty faces, sell more than anyone.

          To sum up, even though beauty is a relevant issue for people nowadays, we do have to understand that is very subjective. May be you could have higher chances to get a job if you are pretty, but it doest not make you a better person.

5 comments:

  1. everyone is concern about beuty, but I think it is a virus in the society. I don't know why beauty is more important than being a good person, it is stupid, anyway I love me fat or not, pretty or not... I'm the most beautiful woman in the world XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appearence, excellent topic to develope on a book, it sounds sorta interesting, because of the perceptions you can have, beuty, appearence, and those themes are interesting to write.

    best regards,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, I am a handsome boy but I am not a good person xd. About promoters when I was working in Jumbo I used to talk with a beautfil girl, I wont say her name because Yaela could kill me. However, this girl is a material girl xd, she only thinks in stupids things . I have to confess that I could flirt with her but I prefer Yaela because she is beautiful, sweet, and intelligent.

    ReplyDelete