Thursday, September 9, 2010

Edipo Rey

882.01 S681 o.E c.1

The book I read was called “Edipo Rey”, and it is called that way because Edipo is the main character of the whole story and he is called “Rey”, for he became king of a land. Edipo was born in Tebas, and he was the son of Tebas’ king and queen, but he was abandoned for his parents, since an oracle said to Tebas’ king that Edipo will kill him. However, Edipo lived with farmers and when he became older he went to look for his biological parents. On his road, he fought with a mass of people, among them was his father who was killed by Edipo; the prophecy came true. Then, Edipo arrived to Tebas and he destroyed a monster, and that is the reason why Tebas with no king chose Edipo to the throne. He became king of Tebas, he married her mother, and obviously they did not know that they were the same blood. Time passed, and they knew the truth and no one could stand it carrying them to a horrible tragedy; the queen commited suicide and Edipo got blind.
This tragedy was written by Sófocles, he makes his point in the books in terms of the believes that people had on that time, the importance that a king had in a territory, and the importance that religious or magical powers, as the oracles, had as well.
The main lesson of the story is, in my opinion, that even though we really want to change the course of the things we live daily, it is impossible, because our fate is written from the day we were born.
This is the part when you criticize me… xd

6 comments:

  1. I really like this tragedy. I think it shows so deeply the things in life tha you cannot fight against. Although, the father was a coward by leaving his son. If you think of that a while, you'll find out that no such tragedy would've happened if he had just acepted the oracule's prediction. Sometimes, we can fight against ourselves and win the battle. It is all about decisions: you just have to do the right call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it is possible to change the course of our lives. The thing is, as marcela said, that during our lives we are going to take different decisions, so it depends on the decisions we take. Also I have always thought that things happend for a reason, sometimes we have things to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a boring book have you chosen... aajja... I hate Edipo Rey, I hate Sófocles and I hate Philosophy. Well let me tell you that I could understand that book with your explanation... I never understood philosophy. I think it is because I don't like it well. In my case I will never change, I'm so antiphatic... ajajaj but destiny had chosen that thing for me, from the moment I was born :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is awesome. I read this when I was in the school, in that moment I can't understand at all it. In my opinion, the situation is so weird and terrible disgusting. I had my theory about Edipo case, I thought that he always loved this woman like his mother;however, he was confused about his feeling because he didn't know that she was his mother.So he loved her in other way, in a 1313 way xd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1313 way ?? hahahaha that was funny !!! xDDD

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are the girl who has more comments!
    It's a tragedy the book. I read it when I was in Second senior grade. This book said 'you cannot escape of your destiny'

    ReplyDelete